Zambia's gemstone capitol in the Eastern Province has a long history of mining for aquamarine and tourmaline. Many of the mines are located within a very short distance from downtown Lundazi.
Branch mine: Just outside town is the Branch mine, which is being worked for aquamarine since the 1950s. Aquamarine is still found and to the sides of the pegmatite beautiful amethyst is now being mined for specimens.
Lundazi: Centre of town near the main market
Lundazi: The road has been paved meanwhile (with a 2 cm thick cover of asphalt, which produced pot holes after only one year just outside town...)
Lundazi: old colonial house from the 1940s; at night the British lit fires inside the archs under the house to keep the lions away.
Lundazi: Jacaranda alley.
Lundazi: Lundazi castle built by an Englishman in 1948 is now a hotel.
Branch mine: The Branch mine is located just a few km outside of the town of Lundazi.
Branch mine: The mine was discovered in the 50s and the pit is meanwhile almost 200m long, following a pegmatite vein.
Branch mine: The black stained wall testifies to an ancient mining method: fire-setting.
Branch mine: At work; an aquamarine is showing in the rock (see detailed in next picture).
Branch mine: Aquamarine in situ.
Branch mine: The production of half a days work, not sorted yet. High-quality stones may still be hidden inside the lumps.
Branch mine: Miners accomodation.